Vinay Butani is a Partner in the Corporate & Commercial practices of ELP.
Vinay has been involved in various corporate and commercial transactional matters across sectors including health care, media and fin-tech. He has advised several clients, including several Fortune 500 companies on corporate and commercial transactions, acquisitions, strategic alliances, domestic and cross-border foreign collaborations, IP acquisitions and brand associations including joint ventures encompassing all aspects of Indian corporate, securities, foreign investment, and company laws.
Vinay regularly writes on India’s foreign direct investment regime and company laws in various publications.
He has been featured in Asian Legal Business’ India Rising Stars List of 2023.
Prior to joining ELP, Vinay was a Counsel with AZB & Partners, Mumbai.
Some of his key matters include:
- Assisting a multinational imaging company in a detailed analysis of Indian information technology laws and practices. The intent was to guide the client through various compliances with respect to the requirement of disclosure of data to public authorities and authorizing access to such authorities for this
- Assisted Rolex in conducting a detailed analysis of Indian data privacy laws vis-à-vis its retention policy for data backup with respect to CCTV footages and official work data.
- Regularly address queries by various international law firms’ with respect to Indian data privacy laws.
- Advised Somerset Indus Healthcare India Fund in its acquisition of minority stakes in (a) Natural Biogenex Private Limited; (b) EMIL Pharmaceutical Industries Private Limited (c) Globela Pharma Private Limited; and (d) Genworks Health Private Limited.
- Advised Mprofit and its founders in respect of the investment by Zerodha’s Rainmatter, Enam Holdings, Gruhas Proptech, Auxano Capital and Samarthya Investment Advisors.
- Advised Samarthya Capital in its acquisition of minority stakes in Phygital Healthtech Pvt Ltd.
- Advised Creatigo setup its video and audio subscription ‘stock’ platform in India.
- Advised 100percent Nourishment Private Limited and its founders in respect of the investment by celebrity Shilpa Shetty in the company.
- Advised Platinum Guild India in its brand association with internal cricketers (a) K.L Rahul; (b) Surya Kumar Yadav; and (c) Jemimah Rodrigues.
- Advised Accor Group in its brand association with celebrity Katrina Kaif.
- Advised Zeeva Electronics and its founders in their brand association with Cornerstone and the international cricketer Virat Kohli.
- Advised Impresario Entertainment Private Limited in their sale of majority shareholding in the joint venture company, Stratix.
- Advised Bharat Forge Limited in its execution of definitive documents for acquisition of 100% shareholding of JS Auto Cast Foundry India Private Limited.